Name: Becky
Occupation: Student/Occassional Auxiliary Nurse/ABA Therapist/Serial traveller/owner of itchy feet
Home Towm: Bangor, North Wales
Current Location: Bangor



Links
Amy
Ben
Carl
Harriet
Helen
Lou


Thursday, May 15, 2008
 
Well despite my positive thoughts at the end of lat week work hasn't been a huge amount better. Monday was spent in the recovery room, which meant watching a little girl to make sure she didn't move her arm as she had a drip going through. I did spend some time in the dressing room so watched some dressings being done, one on a little girl who burnt her feet three months ago in a bush fire, and got to do one myself. Nothing very exciting, just a wound from an operation that hadn't fully healed, however I did have the challenge of dealing with maggots! It wasn't very nice, and the nurse assisting who was putting the tape on had no idea what I meant when I asked her to put the tape on so the edges were completely covered and therefore limiting the ease of anything getting in, which was very frustrating. The following day accidentally ended up doing a clinic in a village which was quite interesting. By clinic I mean a table and two benches under a porch in the middle of the village('Do you have villages in England?'), which we walked ('Can you walk? The road is bad') around letting people know we were there. We gave out mosquito nets to mother who brought a voucher (given at a recent clinic when they had run out), vitamin A to any child between 6 months an two (they give it every 6 months), any immunisations that the child needed- polio, BCG, DPT (a combined one for several different things including hep B and diphtheria) , and weighed the kids. They go to a different village each day except Wednesday when it is done from the health centre, which I did yesterday. Today I had planned to go to Accra to get visas but they still don't have any, so stayed of work anyway as I was really tired. It's been really hot the last week and it's quite draining. Tomorrow I'll be back at work and have been invited to to work in the lab (by a man who wants to marry me!), so will hopefully be doing that, and then next week will be visiting another clinic on Monday and might do some work with them next week. I'm going to talk to the doctor at the clinic I'm at currently and explain that if possible I want to be learning, not doing something I could be paid to do back home, or failing that at least something practical. If they don't think they can do that I'll try the other place and failing that go back to the hospital.

5:23 PM
Comment (0) ... PermaLink