Name: Becky
Occupation: Student/Occassional Auxiliary Nurse/ABA Therapist/Serial traveller/owner of itchy feet
Home Towm: Bangor, North Wales
Current Location: Bangor



Links
Amy
Ben
Carl
Harriet
Helen
Lou


Monday, March 24, 2008
55 hours and counting!  
And very scared! But also excited, and nervous and absolutly cannot wait etc!
I'm pretty much packed, got a visa, and think I've got most of what else I need, but have been warned that most of Africa is much harder to get anything I forget at a good price and good quality than Nepal was. It should be fine though. I've had lots of fabulous advice from many people, especially Lou on Ghana- thank you sooooooo much darling!

The plans have been re-jigged a bit after lots of scary stories about various problems encounter by others when trying to do Africa overland alone. So the revised plans are something along the lines of:
Tuesday 25th, 12.00- leave Norwich for a fun packed afternoon with Carl in London
Wednesday 26th, at the crack of dawn- leave England for Ghana
March to end of May- working in Ghana
June- travel around a bit, currently thinking of going along the coast to Togo, travel north through the country and in to Burkina Faso, North again to Mali (mainly to go to Timbuktu) then either fly out from there or go back in to Ghana and fly from there...
Around 20th June- to join a six week overland tour from Nairobe to Johannesburg via everything that is worth seeing and adding another 8 countries to my list of ones visited! I will arrive in South Africa about...
Early August- and get a three week bus pass around the country, popping in to some or all of Mozambique, Swaziland and Lesotho on the way, before flying home late in August (sometime between 27th and 29th I think)!

All very exciting, still feel like I've got a lot to do, not help by the fact that nothing has been open since Thursday evening and won't be until Tuesday morning, which is going to leave me with quite a lot of last miute shopping on Tuesday before the train or in London. Thanks to the internet, flights, tours, buses, banking and many other things can be arranged when I get to Ghana, and from what I've been told many African countries have embassies there so if I can't get them at the border I can get them there.

On a side note, just found a list of the top 50 places to see before you die, the next 5 months is going to add at least three of the list on to the six I've already been to (two of those in the top 10- The Grand Canyon #1 and Las Vegas #7)! And another 6 are already planned in to next years summer holiday- Becky Goes to Asia- Part Two- more on that another time... in six months time perhaps...

Anyhoo, this may well be my last England-based blog for a while, hope you all have fun while I'm gone. I will try to update as often as I'm able, but do to email/facebook me to say hi as well. If anyone wants to say hi/goodbye leaving drinks are tomorrow evening, all invited, give me a call for details.

Oh, and you're more than welcome to come and visit me any where along the way! Au revoir!

12:11 AM
Comment (0) ... PermaLink